MIUI is Xiaomi’s take on customizing Android for their devices, bringing in several features and rather striking changes which are not available in stock Android. Xiaomi runs a continuous public Beta channel for several of its devices, testing out some of the upcoming changes that will then be incorporated within the Stable MIUI releases. The latest MIUI 10 Global Beta 9.3.21 brings several fixes, including one for the annoying disappearing notification icon issue on recent Xiaomi devices like the Mi 9 and the Redmi Note 7.
As we observed on our Redmi Note 7 Pro, when a notification arrives on the device, the notification icon pops up on the status for a brief period. But after a couple of seconds, the icon disappears, even though the notification continues to exist within the notifications shade. This makes it rather inconvenient and difficult to quickly assess if you have any pending notifications that need your attention. MIUI 10 Global Beta 9.3.21 fixes this by making the notification icons stick around in the status bar more “permanently” (it still goes away when you normally interact with the notification, so it isn’t literally permanent).
Complete changelog for the MIUI 10 Global Beta 9.3.21 update is as below:
- Overlapping items in the Notification shade
- Errors occurred after unlocking device in landscape mode (Mi 9, Mi 8 Pro)
- An option for smoothening notch curves on full screen devices (Mi 9, Redmi Note 7)
- Face unlock prompts didn’t disappear on time in some cases
- Clearing Recent led to errors, Recent are cleared faster now
- GPS icon in the status bar
- Battery-related floating notifications weren’t displayed correctly in landscape mode
- Permanent notification icons for empty spots in the status bar (Mi 9, Redmi Note 7)
- Couldn’t make screen recordings when the notch was hidden in some cases (Mi 8 Pro, Mi 8 Lite)
- A major upgrade for the toolbox in Game Turbo, including auto play and switching between data SIM cards (Redmi Note 5, Redmi Note 7)
The list of supported devices as mentioned in the announcement post appears to be outdated, as it omits devices that are explicitly mentioned in the changelog. Further, this update is not available for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, Redmi Note 5, Redmi Note 5 Pro, Redmi 5 and Redmi Y2 for various reasons that have been listed in the announcement post. Download links for devices like the Mi 9, Mi 8 Pro and Redmi Note 7 are also not publicly available for reasons unknown; from the changelog, at least we know that some of these annoying issues are being worked upon.
Download MIUI 10 Global Beta 9.3.21
Download links for both, recovery-flashable ROMs and fastboot-flashable ROMs for the other devices are present below. Please cross-check the device codename as several Xiaomi devices are known by different marketing names in different regions.
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.